Suzann Pettersen on a Tear in 2013; yet Overshadowed by Another

Suzann Pettersen is having the type of year every golfer dreams about. Four wins so far for the year, a major championship title, a No. 2 ranking in the Rolex Women's World Golf Rankings.

Still, her stellar year could, and most likely will be overshadowed by the fact one of her competitors in Inbee Park has garnered all the headlines -- And perhaps, rightfully so.

Park had a chance to make history to be the first female golfer to win all four majors in a row during the same season. And of course, you can't forget her six victories (including three majors) for 2013.

In addition to those, after winning her second major in a row at the Kraft Nabisco Championship, Park became the top ranked golfer in the world.

With all that, Pettersen has not only been a side note to many this season. She's been down right overshadowed by Park's incredible year. Fairly or unfairly, she has maintained her poise and has risen throughout the year, to have her most successful season since the 2007 season. Where she claimed five victories and a major championship.

In 2013, the 32-year old from Oslo, Norway has racked up four wins and 10, top-10 finishes in her last 11 events. Which included wins at: LPGA Lotte Championship, Safeway Classic, Evian Championship (her second career major) and Sunrise LPGA Taiwan Championship.

Those four wins have brought her career LPGA Tour wins to a total of 14 since her first win in 2007 at the Michelob ULTRA Open at Kingsmill.

For 2013, Pettersen has played in 21 events, making the cut 19 times, with four wins and as mentioned above, 10 more top-10 finishes earning herself $2,241,847 this season.

Pettersen successfully defended her title this week in Taiwan for the first time in her career, in a head-to-head battle against Spain's Azahara Munoz on Sunday, before she pulled away to win by nine strokes.

“It feels great to come here and defend my title and play as well as I did,” said Pettersen after her round.

“It was very tough out there. Since the very first shot on Thursday, the conditions gave us a very big challenge. Today, Azahara gave me an even bigger challenge.  She played really good on the front nine -- well, she played really good all around.  I think I can almost thank her for keep pressing and keep pushing me because I just had to keep staying aggressive and try to make birdies.”

With Pettersen now securely in the No. 2 spot of the Rolex Rankings, she is once again behind another player on a list of exclusive players to be in the No. 1 position. Those players have included; Annika Sorenstam, Lorena Ochoa, Yani Sang and now Inbee Park.

In which she commented about after winning her fourth event of the season. “Yeah, being No. 2 is pretty much the first loser and I've been No. 2 behind four great No. 1s. I've been No. 2 behind Annika, I was No. 2 behind Lorena, I was No. 2 behind Yani and I'm No. 2 behind Inbee.”

Though outspoken in her position in the No. 2 position, Pettersen did shed some light to her earlier success on the LPGA Tour at a younger age, and the responsibility that comes with being the top ranked player in the world.

“The first couple times I felt maybe a little bit immature,” said Pettersen. “I didn't feel quite ready to take on that role.  Now, I feel my game is progressing.  It's getting stronger.  I think personally, mentally, I'm ready to take on No. 1.  That's pretty much -- that's my drive, that's my goal. I want to dominate ladies golf and to do that, you've got to go out and you've got to be comfortable with big leads.”

Pettersen has certainly proved in 2013 her golf and mental game are ready for the next level. Only time will tell if she can over take Inbee Park in the Rolex Rankings and become the top ranked player in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment